Bloom Asia aims to equip and empower young women who have experienced significant trauma, and help them create a better future.
The famous proverb 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime' describes the ability of training in helping a person take control of their own destiny. At Bloom Asia, this is our aim. Rather than simply giving a hand out to young women in poverty and dire circumstances, we teach them to rise above their circumstances and become powerful and independent agents through vocational training and education.
Our vocational education and training (VET) courses teach important new skills that not only instil a sense of accomplishment, but also become the means for their future security. Our Hospitality course has set a standard in cake and sugar artistry that is recognisably world-class, and is currently being taught in all our locations alongside literacy classes and computing skills.
Sustainable employment is often the only way to remove women who have suffered abuse and human rights violations from further exploitation. Through our social enterprise, every graduate from the vocational training program is offered a full-time position where they can continue their learning while earning a generous and sustainable income.
All profits from our social enterprise arm are directed back into the training centre, and this helps us provide more opportunities for new students to gain training and employment.
Our social enterprise arm includes:
- Cake baking and decorating. Our range of baked creations, from cupcakes to multi-tiered mega structures, are renown for their artistry and are highly sought after for weddings and celebrations.
- Training cafe. Our cafes specialise in cupcakes, cookies and other baked goods, along with rich fair-trade coffee and friendly professional service.
- Paper crafts. Our paper crafts course teaches the art of handmade paper goods and produces a superb range of cards.
The young women who enter our program are referred from our partner organisations, who work closely with disadvantaged communities. Once in the program, they receive practical support in a caring environment. This includes:
- Healthcare (medical and dental services
- Education (literacy, budgeting, parenting, health etc.)
- Personal development (leadership training, mentorship program, self defence classes)
- ACT therapy and counselling
“At Agape we work with dozens of vocational training programs and none compare to BloomAsia Training. Girls completing the program are prepared professionally, socially, emotionally and spiritually to successfully enter full-time employment.”
— Don Brewster, CEO of Agape International Ministries